I wish I had more scenes: Bobby Deol opens up on limited screen time in 'Animal'

Bollywood actor Bobby Deol recently took on the role of Abrar Haque, a character described as a "savage" and "obsessed" antagonist in Animal. Directed by Sandeep Reddy Vanga, the film explores a violent world intertwined with the complex relationship between Ranbir Kapoor's character, Ranvijay Singh, and his father, Balbir Singh, played by Anil Kapoor.  Despite the film's polarizing reception, with critics and audiences expressing mixed opinions on its portrayal of violence and toxic masculinity, Bobby's portrayal of Abrar has become a highlight. In an interview with PTI, Bobby shared insights into his approach to playing the barbaric antagonist, shedding light on the intricacies of his character's psyche.  Addressing the disappointment of fans expecting more screen time for his character, Bobby expressed gratitude for the opportunity to play a role with substantial depth. He noted that the length of the role was less important than the character's substance, adding that he was aware of the limited screen time when signing onto the project. However, he was pleasantly surprised by the overwhelming love and appreciation his character received. “It’s not the length of the role, it is the kind of the character which has so much substance," he explained. "I wish I had more scenes but when I signed the film, I knew this is what I had. At that point in my life, I was grateful to God that I was given this chance to play this role by Sandeep. I knew I had only 15 days of work and wouldn’t be there throughout the film. I was sure people would notice me, but I never realised that there would be so much love, appreciation and affection. It’s like wow! It’s amazing." Looking ahead, Bobby hinted at the potential for a spin-off centred around his character, citing the audience's strong connection with Abrar. The actor, who underwent a physical transformation for the role, shared that the joy of portraying such a complex character motivated him to maintain the required physique. “People have loved the character so much that there should be a spin-off. It is so encouraging that people appreciate your work and they want to see more of you, playing that character. It feels good,” he said. He added, “I had to pump it out. It is tough to maintain physique but it’s the joy of playing a character, which I was so excited about. That kept giving me the strength to keep working hard at it." He revealed that he approached the role from a non-judgmental standpoint, fully immersing himself in the thought process of his character. Bobby emphasised that every individual possesses elements of good and evil, and his character's savage nature was a result of intense trauma and an obsessive pursuit of revenge.  “There’s good and evil in every human being and what gets the evil out of you is some situation. As an actor, you think as a character. ‘I’m doing nothing wrong, I’m right in whatever I do’. You forget how to judge what is right and wrong,” explained the star. “I was not put into a situation where I was not convinced or had to be convinced or felt awkward. I felt Abrar, the kind of savage and evil he is, I had to play it that way,” he added. He further said that the film explores the fine line between good and evil, showcasing how extreme situations can bring out the darker side of human nature. “(Abrar) is obsessed with revenge," remarked Bobby. "So when you get so obsessed, you don’t see what is good and bad, you just want to finish someone. That’s how it is. In the film, he has suffered… It’s a trauma that has made him this animal kind of a person." Despite the criticism surrounding the film's themes, the actor defended the creative choices, stating that filmmakers aim to entertain and that the depiction of toxic elements in society resonates with some viewers. He acknowledged that not every film can be universally accepted, stressing the diversity of genres in the film industry. “Filmmakers create stories for people to be entertained. This kind of toxicity and all of this exists in our society… Somewhere people can identify with it. But there will always be people who won’t like it, nothing can be liked by every individual… I think we are entertainers and we want to do different kinds of genres. That’s how I look at it,” the actor said. Known for his versatility in negative roles, Bobby further expressed his excitement at playing characters with different complexities, citing the positive reception of his performances in Aashram and Animal. He revealed that his family, including his iconic father Dharmendra and brother Sunny Deol, takes pride in the success of their respective projects, making 2023 an extraordinary year for the Deol family in the Bollywood spotlight. Have something to add? Share it in the comments

from Latest Lifestyle News, Fashion & Celebrity News - The Express Tribune https://ift.tt/6jpc4uB

Post a Comment

0 Comments